Got everything packed to ensure you and your family don’t burn in the sun? Sunscreen? Hats? UV clothes?Parasol?
Did you also know that certain foods eaten daily will help repair existing sun damage and prepare your skin and cells for a day out in the sun?
Here’s your essential food checklist:
- Water: Dehydration will increase your chances of sun (and other) damage and wrinkles so make sure you sip water through the day.
- Antioxidants: Add a little fresh lemon juice to that water and snack on berries, pineapples, red/orange peppers, tomatoes…the more colourful the better!
- Beta-carotene, another super antioxidant to help you combat cancer-causing free radicals so fill up on carrots, sweet potatoes, mangoes, dark green leafy vegetables, melons, squashes, dried (brown) apricots, broccoli, peas.
- Green tea: A great anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing drink! Cool it down with a little ice and add some lemon or fresh mint for a cool summer taste.
- Vitamin E and Omega 3 fats: Good oils will maintain a healthy layer of fat underneath the skin, repairing and protecting it from sun damage so don’t hold back on seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, hemp, pumpkin), oily fish, nuts, eggs, avocadoes.
Have a fabulous and healthy holiday! 🙂