Exam time?...time for brain food!
As my eldest sits for his second week of GCSE exams – I thought I’d give you ideas on foods that will help you and your young brains at home for the next few weeks. These tips are obviously good to incorporate in your daily habits at any time and at any age, so don't hold back!
- Breakfast: First and foremost – breakfast is NOT an option if you want to keep your concentration and memory levels up during exams. Research shows that children are twice as likely to get above average grades when they eat breakfast.
- Breakfast ideas? Have some carbohydrates like bread, porridge oats, muesli but ADD SOME PROTEIN like nuts, nut butters, seeds and eggs, houmous. And for the more adventurous: houmous + avocado/egg/mackerel or smoked salmon on toast.
- Other important brain foods: Throughout the day, focus on good fats – which really fuel the brain, particularly omega 3 fats in walnuts, seeds, oily fish (like salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel, sardines, herring, anchovies), fish or krill oil, green powders like spirulina and chlorella (added to juice or smoothies), eggs and green leafy vegetables.
- Examples of snacks: add a teaspoon of chia seeds to your water bottle; smoothie with some green leaves + ½ tsp of spirulina or chlorella powder+ fruit for taste; bread/cut up vegetables and nut butter/houmous; a tin of sardines in olive oil or tomato sauce; bread/crackers + avocado and houmous; walnuts (they look like a brain for a good reason); other nuts (but not peanuts which have little nutritional value.)
- Water water water: a dehydrated brain is like a dried up sponge…useless..
Good luck to you all! 🙂
What's Your Next Step?
Enter your contact details below to book your Free Diagnostic Consultation:
In this session we will discuss:
- What you really want for your health, your body, your life
- Obstacles that are preventing you from living life to the full
- Your dreams and goals
Then we will come up with a plan of action to get you on the road to recovery.
Thank you and I look forward to talking with you soon!