Exam time?…time for brain food!
As my eldest sits for his second week of GCSE exams – I thought I’d give you ideas on foods that will help you and your young brains at home for the next few weeks. These tips are obviously good to incorporate in your daily habits at any time and at any age, so don’t hold back!
- Breakfast: First and foremost – breakfast is NOT an option if you want to keep your concentration and memory levels up during exams. Research shows that children are twice as likely to get above average grades when they eat breakfast.
- Breakfast ideas? Have some carbohydrates like bread, porridge oats, muesli but ADD SOME PROTEIN like nuts, nut butters, seeds and eggs, houmous. And for the more adventurous: houmous + avocado/egg/mackerel or smoked salmon on toast.
- Other important brain foods: Throughout the day, focus on good fats – which really fuel the brain, particularly omega 3 fats in walnuts, seeds, oily fish (like salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel, sardines, herring, anchovies), fish or krill oil, green powders like spirulina and chlorella (added to juice or smoothies), eggs and green leafy vegetables.
- Examples of snacks: add a teaspoon of chia seeds to your water bottle; smoothie with some green leaves + ½ tsp of spirulina or chlorella powder+ fruit for taste; bread/cut up vegetables and nut butter/houmous; a tin of sardines in olive oil or tomato sauce; bread/crackers + avocado and houmous; walnuts (they look like a brain for a good reason); other nuts (but not peanuts which have little nutritional value.)
- Water water water: a dehydrated brain is like a dried up sponge…useless..
Good luck to you all! 🙂
Nathalie Sansonetti BA, MA, DNN, Dip AIT, HCI, is a Nutrition & Health Coach.
I specialise in helping people boost their energy and wellbeing by first improving their gut health.
Book a free Discovery Call with me today by clicking link below to be taken to my diary. Just book a convenient time for you and we’ll have an informal chat about how my Gut Loving Life Programs may help you to regain your trust and confidence in your gut, your body and in life generally 🙂