Gentlemen..say hello to andropause
You’ve all heard about how a sudden drop in oestrogen causes women to go through the menopause but did you know that a natural gradual decline in testosterone will cause men to go through andropause?
Gentlemen, if you are in your late 40s – 50s and feeling low libido, low energy, depression, mood swings, loss of muscle mass and increased belly fat, you might want to incorporate some of these into your day-to-day habits:
- Watch your waistline: no more indulging in those pints, sugar and comfort foods: obesity greatly increases andropause symptoms and can lead to heart-damaging insulin resistance – cut out sugar and high-GI carbs (mainly white grains and sugars)
- Intermittent fasting: Try eating strictly only within an 8-hour window in the day (ie: 10am-6pm). Start with a 12-hour window first and work you way gradually to the 8 hours. (not recommended if you suffer from diabetes)
- Reduce inflammation: eat plenty of omega-3 rich foods like oily fish, seeds, green vegetables; increase antioxidants: incorporate 6-8 servings daily of colourful vegetables (& 1-2 servings of fruit); add a tsp of turmeric (+ 1 pinch of black pepper) to your daily green smoothie.
- Move more: exercise in short intense bursts 4-5 times a week (Hiit style exercise & weights) rather than inflammation-inducing long cardio sessions.
- Essential nutrient support: include zinc, krill or fish oil, B5 & 6, Vitamin C, D3.
- Relax more: include adrenal boosting meditation, deep breathing, yoga, etc to your daily routine.
Life can get better at 50…!
Nathalie Sansonetti BA, MA, DNN, Dip AIT, HCI, is a Nutrition & Health Coach. I specialise in helping people increase boost their energy and wellbeing by first improving their gut health.
Book a free Discovery Call with me today and we’ll have an informal chat about how my coaching programs can really help you find the ‘old you’ again: