If I could make a £ every time I say to my clients ‘it’s not just what you eat, it’s how you are when you eat’, I’d be a billionaire. So many health professionals, the media, the big influencers of our habits like the major food companies, are so intent on making you eat the ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ foods that you end up confused, discouraged and more stressed than ever.
Now guess what happens when you’re stressed? Among other things, you shallow breathe and your body diverts essential nutrients and blood flow away from your gut and towards your brain and limbs, readying you to fight or fly. So don’t count on your digestion to open for business if you’re stressed, it’s on strike.
So what’s a quick and effective way to reduce stress and improve digestion?
Here’s a simple stress-relieving (and digestion-boosting!) breathing exercise that will take 5 minutes of your day:
- Lie/sit down, close your eyes, relax your shoulders and place a hand on your lower abdomen.
- Inhale slowly through the nose and try and push your hand away, as if inflating a balloon inside your tummy.
- Exhale through your mouth and push your hand in – ‘deflating’ the balloon.
- Repeat 5 times, 5 times a day.
You might find yourself breathing this way naturally very soon and reaping the many benefits of relaxation!
What's Your Next Step?
Enter your contact details below to book your Complimentary Phone Consultation:
In this session we will discuss:
- What you really want for your health, your body, your life
- Obstacles that are preventing you from living life to the full
- Your dreams and goals
Then we will come up with a plan of action to get you on the road to recovery.
Thank you and I look forward to talking with you soon!