Heal your gut to boost your immunity
In light of current health concerns, there are some important and easy actions you can take to improve your immunity.
Research has demonstrated that healthy gut flora is the key to maintaining a healthy immune system. Indeed, the gut contains 70-80% of the body’s immune cells which protect you from external pathogens and microbes. A balanced microbiota will create healthy immune cells, while the presence of pathogenic gut bacteria will cause your immune system to shift to an inflammatory state, which will cause disease. It therefore makes sense to reinforce your gut flora and lining, in order to boost your immunity.
My top seven immunity boosting tips:
- Mindset: Full-blown anxiety as well as chronic low-level stress will cause you to shallow breathe, your heart rate to climb, your blood sugar levels to spike and other physiological reactions to occur naturally (often without you noticing). Your brain will 'conclude' that there is a threat to your survival, even if it's only the idea of stress that triggers it. This will cause your gut to stop producing enzymes, acids and other digestive 'aids' - among other vital bodily functions. Your food will literally sit there, undigested, until the stress message changes. This will affect your gut bacteria, seriously increase inflammation and impair your immunity. So change the stress and thoughts of stress right now. Meditation and deep breathing are great ways to do that with instant impact.
- Ban chemicals. Chemicals will weaken your gut lining, destroy good bacteria and have dire consequences on your immunity. With higher levels of chemicals and other pollution in our food, water and environment, it is crucial to focus on quality, organic foods and good, filtered water. Ditch plastics and chemical and ‘anti-bacterial’ cleaning products where possible. There are some great less harmful alternatives available.
- Eat organic, raw pre and pro-biotic foods that promote beneficial gut bacteria: kefir, kombucha, raw sauerkraut, kimchi, natto, plain live full-fat organic yogurt to name a few.
- Eat more plant-fiber: the fermentation of fiber by gut bacteria has been found to reduce inflammation and improve immunity in recent studies.
- Drink pure, filtered water to maintain appropriate hydration and help flush toxins and chemicals out of your body.
- Micronutrients such as vitamin C, A, E, B6, B12, folic acid, iron, magnesium and calcium have been found to support and boost immunity.
- Avoid stressful and fear-mongering media and people!
As always do what feels right for your body.
What's Your Next Step?
Enter your contact details below to book your Complimentary Phone Consultation:
In this session we will discuss:
- What you really want for your health, your body, your life
- Obstacles that are preventing you from living life to the full
- Your dreams and goals
Then we will come up with a plan of action to get you on the road to recovery.
Thank you and I look forward to talking with you soon!