Why you aren't - quite - what you eat
Contrary to popular belief, being healthy does not just depend on what you eat. I can already hear you say: “..surely if I eat lots of kale and nuts, I’m healthier than someone who eats junk. Right?”..well, not quite.
To consider whether you are really healthy or why you don’t feel great despite all the ‘good’ food you eat, you must assess how well you’re able to digest it. ‘You are what you can digest’ is therefore far more accurate than the popular adage.
So if you regularly suffer from bloat, irregular bowels, pain, gas or low energy, you need to assess whether your gut is strong enough to break down those nuts, seeds, wholegrains and raw greens. For most of us, this isn’t the case.
Some foods – such as raw foods, nuts, seeds, pulses, grains, contain acids and anti-nutrients (ie: phytic acid, leptins, saponins..) that are meant to protect that food from pests. These anti-nutrients interfere with digestive enzymes and also prevent you from absorbing many essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Ease digestion by soaking, sprouting and fermenting nuts, seeds, pulses and grains. This will not only boost their digestibility, but it will also increase their nutrient absorption.
- Cook (lightly) all your vegetables, and always eat ripe fruit.
- Eat nutrient-dense lightly cooked foods such as full fat dairy (if tolerated), traditional fats (butter, goose/duck fats, ghee..), muscle meat and fish.
- Look out for signs that your gut isn’t tolerating or digesting something (however ‘healthy’ it’s meant to be). Remove that food or soak/ferment/sprout it and see if it works better for you.
- Practice mindful eating. Eating under any amount of stress, or at high speed will tremendously alter your digestive capability and nutrient absorption.
As always, your body always 'tells' you when something you eat isn't right for you. Ignore these signs at your peril.
What's Your Next Step?
Enter your contact details below to book your Complimentary Diagnostic Consultation:
In this session we will discuss:
- What you really want for your health, your body, your life
- Obstacles that are preventing you from living life to the full
- Your dreams and goals
Then we will come up with a plan of action to get you on the road to recovery.
Thank you and I look forward to talking with you soon!